Welcome to the #1 Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum and Mercedes GLA community dedicated to Mercedes-Benz GLA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Mercedes-Benz GLA today!

ECO start/stop shifts car into neutral upon restart

rmb2015

Reactions
I had the battery replaced at my last service in my 2015 GLA250. I have had several issues at stop lights where the ECO system turns off the car and the car restarts but the dashboard goes black and then red text appears saying to not shift the car into neutral while driving. I have to put the car into park, turn off the car with the key, and restart it. Is this likely an auxillary battery issue? Something worse? Bad battery install?

Thomas

Reactions
My 2016 is doing the same, similar situation replaced battery. Any help is appreciated

AdeG

Reactions
I had the battery replaced at my last service in my 2015 GLA250. I have had several issues at stop lights where the ECO system turns off the car and the car restarts but the dashboard goes black and then red text appears saying to not shift the car into neutral while driving. I have to put the car into park, turn off the car with the key, and restart it. Is this likely an auxillary battery issue? Something worse? Bad battery install?

AdeG

Reactions
I don't know if this applies to your car, but most modern cars require that the new battery is installed on the cars obd computer. If this wasn't done it can cause the stop/start system to malfunction or not work at all. Cars with stop/start systems require a special type of battery. This poses a couple of questions. 1. Was your car serviced by a MB dealer or your local garage ?. 2) Have they fitted the correct battery and installed it onto the cars management computer ?. Assuming that your car did not have this problem before the battery replacement, the first thing you need to do is go back to where it was serviced and explain the problem and ask them to remedy it. If they refuse then your next port of call is to report this, "Potentially dangerous problem", to Trading Standards

Reactions
Same issue here. I had some body work done by a Mercedes recommended body shop and they ended up changing out my battery. I ended up with the same problem. If I try to accelerate as the ECO mode shuts the engine down, my entire vehicle shuts down and I get the red message on my dashboard telling me to bring it in to the dealership for repairs. If I turn the car off then back on, it will resume working as normal.

Did you remedy the problem or are you still experiencing it?

Turker

Reactions
Hey all, having the same issue.
I have 2016 GLA

on full stop, it starts automatically but transmisaion goes neutral and screens go black.

anyone managed to find out the reason/solution?

Reactions
Hey all, having the same issue.
I have 2016 GLA

on full stop, it starts automatically but transmisaion goes neutral and screens go black.

anyone managed to find out the reason/solution?

It's the battery under the glove box. Replace it with a fresh battery. There are two sizes. I had to use the larger amperage battery. If you don't know which one to use, just go with the larger amp battery. Expect about a 5 year lifespan.

For my 2017 GLA250, this is battery number: 000-982-96-08

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Turker

Reactions
Interesting, I replaced the battery 3 months ago with an original Varta one.

Turker

Reactions
It's the battery under the glove box. Replace it with a fresh battery. There are two sizes. I had to use the larger amperage battery. If you don't know which one to use, just go with the larger amp battery. Expect about a 5 year lifespan.

View attachment 167
View attachment 168

View attachment 167
View attachment 168
ah you mean the auxiliary battery, yeah?